Time to Hygge
What is "Hygge"? Hygge is a Danish word that describes the coziness of Northern winters (Hi, Wisconsin!). Instead of complaining about the cold, we take this time of the year to slow down, wear big sweaters, explore in the snow, light pine + balsam-scented candles, and snuggle up by the fire with loved ones + a hot cup of tea.
With cold weather in the forecast, we plan to hygge all winter break. If you need a little inspiration, we put together our version of a checklist so you can enjoy this winter wonderland all week long.
Northwoods love, B + E
Northerly Collective's Hygge Checklist
- Explore your neighborhood's Christmas lights before the season changes. We suggest a cup of hot cocoa and christmas tunes on in the background - use White Arrows Home's playlist!
- Make a snow angel.
- Wander through snow covered tall pines in the North. Explore from your cabin's doorstep or use one of the many trails in the area. Snowshoes recommended.
- Attend Northerly Collective's Hygge Yoga + Hot Cocoa event on December 28th. More info here (pre-registration required).
- Host a family game night. Need a new game? Purchase a new puzzle or game at The Lake House in Manitowish Waters or Imaginuity in Minocqua. Our current favorites are Bananagrams and Mexican Train.
- Bundle up and head out on a night adventure: a hike by headlamp, a snowshoe under the moon or attend a candlelit ski/snowshoe (more details here).
- Brunch + Bloody Mary’s, what could be better? We suggest Aurora Borealis Restaurant in Manitowish Waters or Minocqua Brewing Company.
- Make a new recipe. We love The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies or a few of our favorite holiday cookies.
- Ice skate at North Lakeland School. Open daily December 26th to December 31st - read Winter Break in the Northwoods for details.
- Treat your loved ones to dinner - request a fireside table. We suggest Parkside Tavern or The White Oak Grill.
- Explore the quaint, small towns spread across northern Wisconsin - we suggest Boulder Junction, Three Lakes, Bayfield, Minocqua or our hometown of Manitowish Waters.
- Snuggle up after a long day in the snow for a movie marathon. Choose a holiday theme with the Hallmark Channel or our favorites on Netflix: Stranger Things, The Crown, or Mind Hunter. Popcorn + a cup of tea recommended.
- Take advantage of a lazy morning. Bring a cup of coffee back to bed, make a batch of cinnamon rolls, and simply enjoy the day.
- Spend a day outdoors! Go snow tubing, zip lining, or fat tire biking! Read our recent journal post with details.
- Pick up a new book and read it cover to cover, we dare you. Cozy sweater + wool socks recommend.